Translate

Thursday, August 22, 2013

One Massage Therapist's Thoughts: What I would like to share about being a Licensed MT

As a Massage Therapist (MT) here is what I would like to share with you.

I need to know if you are pregnant for your protection and mine.  Most MT’s will not massage you during your first three months of pregnancy because anything can happen during that time and we don’t want to be the cause of anything going wrong those first 12 weeks.

I would also like you to not show up for your massage if you have sunburn everywhere or over ½ of your body, if you have an infectious skin condition (like poison ivy), or if you are very sick.  None of these conditions are conducive for a massage. 

Sunburn can be very painful and I can’t massage your sunburned areas so your massage will be limited. 

Poison Ivy is contagious and let’s face it no one wants to have it and feel itchy all day long.  I would rather not expose myself to it, since I earn my money with my hands.  That being said if you have a small spot somewhere on your body that is no longer oozing and can be easily avoided, please show up for your massage, just let your MT know about it. 

Lastly if you are sick, massage will only make it more intensified, stay home so as not to infect the rest of the clients or the MT.

If you are late for your massage and I have clients after you, your massage will be shorter.  I can’t make the clients after you wait because you were late, whether it was your fault or not, I can’t do it.  If there are no clients after your appointment then I will make sure you get your full hour. 

Don’t be embarrassed of your body.  I really don’t care.  I am only interested in the body part I am working on and I am not secretly making notes to talk to the other MT’s about you.  I only truly want to help you and help you feel better.

Please call at least 24 hours in advance to cancel your appointment, if you don’t show up I do not get paid.  As an MT I am not a salaried employee, I only make money if you keep your appointment.  Although I do realize that there are emergencies and that sometimes a cancellation can not be 24 hours in advance.

Don’t assume that if you pay $60, $70, $80 for your massage that the MT is getting half that amount. Sometimes that is true but in most cases MT’s are paid as low as $15 an hour, the average is about $25 to $30 an hour.  That sounds like a lot until you consider that an MT can not work a full 40 hour work week and that many do not get benefits. 

I can only work a max of about 30 hours a week before I am in danger of hurting my hands and thumbs.  Besides I will also spend time after your session making notes so that I remember what techniques were used and what adhesions were found and where on the body they were found.  This is important so that next time I can be prepared for your visit.

So, if you ever think that you should not tip an MT because they make enough money, that is fine, it is your right.  But most MT’s are not even working a full 30 hour week and we really, really depend on your tips to help us make ends meet. Also if I did a good job and helped you maybe, just maybe, I earned that little extra bit.


That’s it, that’s all I really wanted to share with you about being an MT. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment